Thursday 2 June 2016

WIG WEDNESDAY

Last week on 25th May I held an event to help raise awareness and funds for CLIC Sargent. I only gave myself just over a month to plan as it was an idea that popped into my head that I wanted to do, so I gave myself very little time to plan and organise the event. 
Every year for the past 5 years, CLIC Sargent have had their annual wig Wednesday day, this day falls in May and on a Wednesday. It wouldn't be so fun if it was called Wig Monday would it? Wig Wednesday is a day to encourage people to raise money and using the Wig idea to wear a wig, hat or have a crazy hairstyle.
A lot of you know how passionate I feel about fundraising and seeing as I have just finished my project placement and managing the Bournemouth hero abseil event, I couldn't wait to get into planning another. I decided to hold a tea, coffee, cake and raffle sale for the day to try and raise as much funds as possible. 
Surprisingly I managed to organise the event really well and by myself with help from family members and friends, the turn out exceeded my expectations! We had huge interest from companies who donated a lot of amazing raffle prizes which I think helped raise the most funds. I spent countless nights sending emails and writing letters to local businesses in my city and even ones who I thought wouldn't be interested in my small scale fundraiser, I was really surprised. The best prize we had up for grabs for the raffle was a £200 Brittany Ferries voucher....Everyone was hoping to win that!
On the day of the event it was lovely to see so many old family members and friends who I had not seen for a long time. 
We still have funds to collect for the Wig Wednesday event so don't have an exact total amount raised as people are donating on my just giving page and doing their own mini collections but so far we have managed to raise over £900. 
Thank you to everyone who has supported me and this event, helping to raise awareness and make a difference to children and young people with cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment