Saturday 29 November 2014

2 YEARS POST STEM CELL TRANSPLANT! REMISSION!

'If you have the Stem Cell Transplant you have a 50% chance of being alive without Leukaemia in 2 years '
:) 
To be the 50% that survive 2 years post feels amazing and I am super happy. Although I do have mixed feelings as I feel slightly sad. I feel sad for the 50% who don't survive. I want to ask why me? What did I do different that gave me a chance?  I think these thoughts stem after loosing my friend, Freya who had her SCT a month after me.
It has taken me a while to think about what I wanted to write in this post. I must say I am amazed myself that I am still alive. I always had a fight inside me that I won't let cancer beat me but in the back of my mind I always had a thought that I wouldn't stay so well after transplant. Well I proved that shit wrong! :) I am so overjoyed that I have reached this stage, 2 years post transplant. It is my greatest achievement yet, yes people have degrees, amazing jobs but my achievement is being alive today...crazy for me to say seeing as I am 21 years old! 
I am not going to make this post super long but just want to say how amazing it is to be 
this far post transplant without many problems. Yes I don't always feel like I am 21 years old due to some of the transplant side effects, but really to still be alive and to say I BEAT CANCER is just amazing. 
At my 2 year check up I said to my consultant...so that's me in remission then ? He answered with a confused look on his face, he replied 'now you have no Leukaemia in your blood so you are clear' I am going to call it remission any way. If my blood tests have no cancer cells then I am not cancer free. I think that because I had a stem cell transplant and had donated cells there is a chance that some of my blood cells are still in my body. I don't know it all confuses me but hey ho I am in REMISSION. He also said that 95% of transplant relapses occur in the first 2 years. Since having my transplant I haven't had any sign of cancer which is amazing!
My consultant meetings are now once every four months which is brilliant. I still have a really high iron count in my blood so am still having regular venesections to lower that. I also found out that I now have a male blood count not a female one. I don't really know what this means but am going to blog about it soon. 
I celebrated my 2 years post by having a meal with all my special family and friends on Thursday, it was so yummy and really lovely to all get together and catch up. My dad done another one of his amazing speeches...at least he was sober this time and not completely hammered like he was at my 21st! 
I want to thank all my family, friends and everyone who has supported me through my cancer journey! Thanks to you, I am alive today and am finally starting to feel more like my old self. Cancer has not only affected me but everyone around me and everyone has been so amazing! I bloody loves you all!
Also I share my re-birthday with one of my best girls Kathleen! So I am also wishing her a very special Happy Birthday!












No comments:

Post a Comment