Sunday, 25 August 2013

Isles Of Scilly

Hi all, I have just come back from a week in the beautiful Isles Of Scilly. I was lucky to be well enough to go and wouldn't have had the chance if it wasn't for my friend Kath and her family. When I was in hospital her mum said that when I felt better she would take me and a few of the girls to the Isles Of Scilly (Kaths granny lives over there). On Sunday 11th August we set off from Penzance on the ferry to the isles of scilly. We had a lovely week and as usual I kept a diary.
Sunday 11th August
We set off for our road trip to Penzance at 6:45. Me, Kate and Rach were in my car and Kath and Ash were in Kath's dads car. I had to follow Kath's dad up as I didn't have a clue where I was going. We arrived to penzance, checked in our luggage and boarded the boat. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful hot day, so we sat outside. The boat journey wasn't too choppy and bad which is what I was dreading so I took an anti sick before we left just to be on the safe side. We arrived in the Isles Of Scilly at St Mary's island at 1 o'clock. Our cases were being taken to the bungalow so we didn't have to worry about dragging them around with us. We went to a pub called The Atlantic and had something to eat and drink.Luckily I didn't get ID'd because I left my ID at home after thinking I packed everything ha, I got mum to ship it over and it arrived by the next day. After lunch Kaths dad picked us up and drove us to the bungalow. The bungalow had beautiful gardens, it reminded me of a secret garden :) When we unpacked our suitcases we cooked some tea and had an early night as we were all really tired from travelling. 
Monday 12th August
Today we walked down to the town which was about a 30 minute walk from the bungalow (well in my pace which is not fast). We had a look in some of the local shops and i bought a few postcards to send to my family. Then we went to a pub where I wrote my postcards out and had some lunch. In the afternoon we went to the beach, had an ice cream and went back to the bungalow. Some of the girls walked back but I was too tired and aching so got a bus. 

Tuesday 13th August

Today we took a trip on a boat over to another island, Tresco. It was a beautiful island, one thing I really loved was that when we got off the ferry there was a wall full of painted shells. There was a trail of them and at the end, it said that the children of Tresco painted the shells and to take one as a souvenir and leave a coin in its place to create a money trail, it was to raise funds to build a park for the children. I thought this was really sweet so bought a few as souvenirs for my family. After admiring the beautifully painted shells we walked around the island and found a beautiful beach, the water was really clear, the sand was pure white and I felt like I was in the Caribbean. Although the water was pretty cold we went right in and had a amazing enjoyable day. When the tide went out we noticed that there were loads of jellyfish washed up ashore, it was unbelievable how many there were. We went crabbing for a bit and found a huge crab, such children we are I know. We got the last boat back to St Marys and came home to a roast, cooked by kath's mum and granny. It was delicious, home made yorkshires and local potatoes and veg locally grown on the island. Yum Yum.
Wednesday 14th August
Today we had a chilled day and didn't do much. We went to play tennis in the morning, went to the pub had a few drinks and played pool.

Thursday 15th August

Today we went to St Martins Island.I forgot my camera but luckily I had my phone on me as we went to the most amazing beach ever. It was called Great Bay and I would recommend anyone who is visiting the Isles Of Scilly to visit this beach. The water was amazingly clear and the sand was so soft it felt like talc powder on my toes. As the day went on, It was pretty hard to find a clear spot to swim in as there were a lot of jellyfish in the sea and us girls being girls we were easily scared out of the water. When we got the boat back to St Mary's we went to the local pub and teamed up in quiz with Kaths mum and dad, luckily we had them on our team because we came 5th out of 15 teams.
Friday 16th August
This morning we had our first proper lie in and didn't get up until 12. When we got up we went for a swim at a beach really close to where we were staying. It was also beautiful and the water was clear. In the afternoon we went to Juliet's Garden and Kaths mum treated us to a cream tea. It was delicious, I would also recommend this to anyone visiting as it has the most beautiful view and the cream tea was amazing. In the evening we went to watch the gigs, this is when all of the islanders from all of the Islands compete in a rowing race. It was really fun to watch and we went out on the boat to ride along the competitors.After we went to the pub and had a few drinks. There are no clubs on the island so every friday night there is a disco. Me and the girls had a really good night, just shows that you don't need nightclubs to be able to dance and enjoy yourself :) We walked home after which took us a LONG time but didn't seem long when we were walking or in Kath and Kates case, jogging haha.
Saturday 17th August
Today was our last full day on the Island and we didn't do much. We went to the social club, watched the football and then went to browse the shops. 

Sunday 18th August

On our last day we had the holiday blues before we even left. We packed our bags and Kaths uncle drove them to the boat. We had some lunch and boarded the boat at 3 in the afternoon. On the way back me and ash decided to go to the lower deck and have a sleep before we arrived at Penzance as I had to drive home and didn't want to be too tired. 

After an amazing week in the Isles Of Scilly I am going to 100% return in the future. It is a beautiful place and has the most amazing beaches. There is a different way of living over there compared to where I live in Plymouth. 

Always smiling x

No comments:

Post a Comment