Wednesday 22 May 2013

One Year

This time last year I was living a normal teenage life partying and going out with friends. I had an evening job and a business apprenticeship at the ambulance station. I also had a lot to look forward to, going on holiday with the girls to Tenerife and the birth of my niece. Then everything changed and I was faced with the biggest journey of my life. I did not ever think I would have cancer,things like that don't happen to people like me? To think that I went to the doctors to have a blood test for glandular fever and then being told that I have leukaemia is just devastating. But on a positive note to think that this time last year I had cancer and today I am cancer free is AMAZING and such a great feeling. I feel really positive and look at life in a totally different perspective. You Only Live Once. You never know what could be around the corner. Today I feel really well and healthy 100% better than what I was feeling last year. Although I feel and look better it is going to take a while until I am back to my normal self. I still need to build up my energy as I get really tired easily. I am also going to have to take tablets for the rest of my life, but what's a few tablets a day to stay alive?

Having cancer and a transplant has affected my life in so many ways..both good and bad. I still face my fears and issues but I am thankful to be alive, I just try to live life one day at a time and be in the moment with whatever I am experiencing. I live my life differently. I try to live each day to it's fullest and take one day at a time. It is scary not knowing what is going to happen in the next chapter of my life but I hope and pray I am cancer free forever. There are so many people that live in the fast lane and think there will always be a tomorrow. I know how fast all of that can be taken away so I don't take things for granted anymore. I couldn't have come this far without the support of my AMAZING family & friends. 

Through fighting cancer I have suffered many losses - lost fertility, lost hair, lost time - but I have also uncovered many treasures and have become a happier, more hopeful and STRONGER person.

Always smiling x
 

No comments:

Post a Comment