Friday 19 September 2014

Anthony Nolan #SaveALifeAt16 Petition


I have just signed Anthony Nolan's petition 'save a life at 16' This is something very close to my heart. I have previously blogged about Anthony Nolan, they are the UK's blood cancer charity and bone marrow register. 
The #SAVEALIFEAT16 campaign is the belief that the government should include information on joining Anthony Nolan's bone marrow register with every letter it sends to a young person informing them of their National Insurance Number. This is an amazing opportunity to expand the donor register and save more lives. 
My brother was my stem cell donor at the age of 16 and he said he would definitely do it again. Not many people are aware of the bone marrow registry and it wasn't until I was diagnosed that I became familiar with Anthony Nolan. Never in a million years did I think I would need a BMT and I was very lucky that my brother was a match. There is only a 1 in 4 chance that a sibling can be a match and I was told that I could have 10 siblings and none of them could have been a possible match. This is why the Anthony Nolan register is hugely important. A lot of people are aware that they can donate their organs but not their stem cells. 
The procedure for my brother was really easy - his words. You can read about it here . 
YOU COULD BE A MATCH AND HELP SAVE LIVES!
PLEASE SIGN!





No comments:

Post a Comment