Friday 3 April 2015

Volunteering For CLIC Sargent

Volunteering has become part of my life since my cancer diagnosis. I have been supported by so many amazing charities and now feel the need to give something back. I have volunteered for a number of charities and organisations, CLIC Sargent, Macmillan Cancer Support and RIO. It is an amazing experience and I have learned a lot of skills which I find so useful it also keeps me on my toes while I am recovering from my transplant and not able to return to full time work. 
There are so many volunteering vacancies out there it's amazing. Whether it's working in a shop, raising money or helping out at a local hospital, it all helps and is equally important. My main involvement with voluntary work  is with the cancer charity, CLIC Sargent

CLIC Sargent
CLIC Sargent charity has supported me and my family since the day of my diagnosis. You may have read previous posts about my volunteering opportunities with them. I have volunteered most with this charity as they have given me and my family so much support. I have held a lot of fundraisers for the charity and have managed to raise over £1000 so far. The enjoyment you feel when raising money for such a great charity is heart-warming. I have met so many amazing people and heard a number of inspiring stories. 

I started volunteering when I was chosen to take part in the young advisory group panel in March 2014, this is where patients who use the charity and staff who work for the charity come together and discuss future plans for the charity. CLIC Sargent are a charity who really appreciate patients' opinions and let us, as patients make decisions for the charity's future and share ideas of how we need to be supported. 

I have also had the great opportunity to be on an interviewing panel to interview new staff members of CLIC Sargent. It was such a great experience and I learned a lot from being on the other side and not being the scared candidate who was being interviewed!
  
Recently, I have been involved with promoting and providing feedback for CLIC Sargent's New Online community. It is similar to twitter but for cancer patients to discuss anything like treatment, side effects or share interests with each other. If you are a cancer patient and are interested in signing up, you can do so here

Have you or do you ever volunteer? If so where and how? 
I would love to hear about your experiences :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment